Sort:  

Ripple may be, but I still have a strong stigma against it as being a centralized banker coin. Maybe I should take another look?

Another point (faux point as it turns out) that I thought stood against Ripple was an uncapped supply. Since one of the things that I found instantly attractive about Bitcoin was the capped supply this seemed like a major strike against Ripple.

As it turns out Ripple is capped and while the utility of XRP isn't something to get excited about as an individual it does seem very useful in the banking system for rapid cross border payments. While banks as they exist now may be going away as we develop new ways to store and transfer value that won't be happening overnight so it seems like there's a place for Ripple.

I found this Epicenter episode informative on the topic: https://epicenter.tv/episode/175/

Yeah there's a lot of FUD about Ripple. I think if you do your own research from unbiased fact based thoughts and videos a lot of people who actually dig into the details are like well that's not at all what I heard Ripple was like.

With that said I haven't actually done that much digging myself, but I would say it may be worth taking another look at.

I dug into the Ripple token and rapidly became less excited as I studied it. I think 99.9% have got the wrong end of the stick.

The trouble is that even if the Ripple system replaces SWIFT, banks won't need to hold more that a few dollars worth of Ripple each. Nobody else needs them, so the supply will exceed the utility.