You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: "58" Shades of Gray #3 Day Job; Employee VS Self Employed

in #discussion6 years ago

Hey hey @roundhere!
I actually enjoy my job! I'm a Forestry aircraft pilot for the State of Louisiana and have been employed here for almost 29 years.
For the most part, it has been a rewarding career​. During the "Great Recession" there were several years that I didn't know if my job would survive or not. I had survivor guilt after many of my friends were laid off and cast aside while I continued.
Now, I have enough years and acquired​ leave to retire any time I'd like. The day I met the retirement requirements was like the weight of the world off my shoulders. I work now because I still enjoy my job. I may retire and travel with the Missus after my last kid graduates from college.
I'm the type that has to be occupied so I'm getting a lot of hobbies lined up. Steemit is one of them.
I've been here since January and met several great folks. You're in the top ten list if not in the top three!
CARRY ON my friend, I always enjoy your original work!

Sort:  

Your situation sounds great. I'm happy for you. Do you check for fires, lost hikers... that sort of thing? If you fly anything like you write, it's no wonder they kept you on.
Thanks for the compliment and I send the same back to you.

I do fire patrol almost exclusively. There are other missions but that is my main job. Many hours of making left turns or monotonous flights over the same territory. Thanks for praising my mediocre writing skills! HA!